The living room is one of the most important spaces inside the house, especially if you are the kind of people who always invite people over for dinner or drinks. If you want to create a positive impression amongst your guests, you should consider your living room as an investment. From choosing the right sofa to complementing it with the right decors, you need to come up with a well-thought design and layout. Among others, one of the most important design elements in the living room is your carpet. Keep on reading and you will know more about some of the things that should be taken into consideration to make sure that the right carpet will be chosen.
Type of Carpet
There is no definite answer when it comes to the best type of carpet for your living room. There are certain variables that should be taken into account such as whether the carpet is intended to be more of a decorative or a functional piece. Generally speaking, however, the following are some of the most common types of carpet that can be considered:
- Plush Textured Carpet: This is a stiff carpet and is chosen by many because it can easily resist marks from foot traffic or vacuum cleaning. It is weaved tightly, which makes it less prone to loosening of fabric.
- Plush Saxony Carpet: Aside from an attractive shine, one of the most common characteristics of this carpet is that it is very soft. It is one of those carpets where you can lay your head comfortably.
- Berber Carpet: Made from looped fibers, it may be durable, but it may fail to deliver the highest level of comfort as it is not as soft as plush Saxony.
- Frieze Carpet: Also known as the shag carpet, this is perfect for the living room if you are trying to achieve a 70s vibe. This has the loosest type of fiber compared to all other carpets that are mentioned.
Carpets are known for the added aesthetics that they can provide to any living room. Nonetheless, more than appeal, your choice of carpet should also be made on the basis of how durable they are, which is also going to be indicative of its value for money. You should not mind spending more if it means that the carpet can withstand long-term use without negatively affecting its quality. The following are some of the factors that will be indicative of a carpet’s durability:
- Density: This will be indicative of how close or loose the fibers are with each other. If you want a longer-lasting carpet, it should be denser. However, the problem with dense carpet is that it compensates softness.
- Fiber: Some of the most common fibers that are commonly used in carpets include wool, nylon, polyester, solution dyed, triexta, and olefin, among others. Wool is the most expensive and is popular for being durable and eco-friendly.
- Stain Resistance: If you want a carpet to be durable, it should be made from materials that can resist stain, which will avoid easily damaging its appearance from spills and foot traffic.
There are limitless styles, colors, and textures that you will be confronted with when looking for carpet. It will be good if you can see the actual carpet before having it purchased, which makes it a bad idea to purchase online. You can choose one that is printed with unique patterns or go minimal with a plain carpet. To choose which one is the best, consider the feel that you are trying to establish, as well as other decors in the living room. The paint of the room will also have a huge impact on which carpet should be chosen. If the room has a neutral and plain color, choose carpets with brighter colors and patterned prints.
Some of the factors that will have an impact on the price of the carpet include its material, design, softness, durability, and the specific supplier where it will be purchased. If you are budget-conscious, it will be best to first shop around for your choices. Nonetheless, the most important thing to keep in mind is to never compensate quality in exchange of price. Even if it is tempting to buy the cheapest carpet you will find, ask yourself first if it is a decision you will never regret in the future.
Go for Customization
If price is not an issue, the best choice is to choose a carpet that is personalized based on your specific needs and wants. There are many companies offering this option. You can choose the specific fabric, size, and style based on your preferences. The company will send a representative in your house to take out the necessary measurements. You can just let them know what specifically you want and they can take care of the rest.